VMware Standalone Converter 5.1.0: Error: Unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine.

converter

With updating of VMware Infrastructure to 5.1; I also installed the latest Standalone Converter 5.1.0. While doing P2V conversions with Windows Server 2008 R2; I faced a few problems.

With Converter 5.1 Build 1087880: Was constantly getting the error:

Unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine.

I made sure to follow the checklist given on VMware KB 1016330 but to no avail. Hence reverted all the changes I did according to the given list.

With Converter 5.0 Build 470252 (as used that version previously with success but with vCenter 5.0): Surpassed the initial error but when pointed to my vCenter 5.1; the Converter would stop responding and get crashed.

I then finally resolved the issue by using Converter 5.0.1 Build 875114. Worked like a charm!

I still haven’t figured it out what could be the issue!  But for now the Converter 5.0.1 is working great with vCetner 5.1 Update 1. But I did figured out the following steps bears no fruit;

  • VSS Shadow Copy service on source machine does not need to be on.
  • Third Party antivirus or backup services on source machine need not to be stopped.
  • Simple file sharing on source machine need not to be disabled.

 

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “VMware Standalone Converter 5.1.0: Error: Unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine.”

  1. Derek Says:

    I have used 5.0.0 and 5.1 and both have the same error, Unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine. Does it have anything to do with win7 and the 7GB vmdk file? I can’t seem to get this Fusion VM converted to ESXi…arrgghh.

  2. Matt Says:

    No luck with 5.0.1.

  3. Rob Says:

    I also keep having the same problem with 5.0, 5.01 and 5.1 converting a Linux machine

  4. Dan Says:

    The way I got around this was by choosing the remote machine option & IP of 127.0.0.1.

  5. fred astaire Says:

    I got to this post looking for a workaround to the same problem.
    What i finally did was as simple as loging off my windows session and log back in. After that the converter worked like a charm.
    BTW my version is 5.1

  6. Ty Says:

    A complete reinstall fixed my issue.

  7. Max Henderly Says:

    Disable EUC.

  8. Simon Payne Says:

    I think he means UAC.
    Another alternative is to use local builtin administrator account as this bypasses UAC

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: